On Your Six

First Name
Marcus
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra AT4
Occupation
Been seeing this news online today. Mark Reuss, GM President, said yesterday in a call with GM investors that the GMC Hummer EV will be offered with three powertrains - 1 motor, 2 motor and 3 motor models. Each one will of course have different power output level.

“When we go to market, we’ll have one-motor, two-motor, three-motor versions, offering different ranges, different performance at different price points to meet the customers’ needs whatever they may be,” Reuss said.

StillHummer

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Cadillac Deville DTS
Occupation
Student of the Law, currently
Interesting.

It's clear here that the entire existence of Hummer will be strongly influenced, and probably modeled after, the Tesla Cybertruck, and Tesla in general.

On the business side of things, GM is following the Tesla strategy of building the high-end, high-profit vehicles first. Tesla dropped the $100,000 Model S way before they ever made the $35,000 Model 3. That's because the S helped them collect capital for future models. GM is going the same, bringing the new Hummer to bat first, hopefully making some cash, and then sending that money downmarket for whenever the EV Silverado (the mass-market BT1 platform offering) is released. Makes great business sense.

On the engineering front, the 1-, 2-, 3-motor setup is identical to Tesla. Rivian offers a 4-motor setup I believe. In the Cybertruck (absolutely hideous btw, but I digress...), the 1-motor setup is RWD, the 2-motor is AWD with one front and one rear, and the 3-motor configuration is one front motor, two rear. I expect the same for the Hummer, should be an excellent off-roader!

I've never been a fan of Tesla, or EVs in general. But I've always loved Hummers. I think this move by GM is genius: has anyone else so successfully brought two polar opposites into the same fold like this? My treehugger friends are on board, and the big-truck boys I hang out with are honestly very interested. Well done GM.